I would do anything for Gove, but I won’t do that …
Rehman Chishti is the sitting tenant and local councillor for Gillingham and Rainham. Having been a school prefect, his career has been a textbook case in “follow the head boy”. Rehman votes with the Government on almost every issue and even switched parties from red to blue in order to further his career. He had one day of principled behaviour recently, when he resigned from a position when the Government decided to break international law. The following day he backed the Government. This was even more surprising, given that Mr Chishti was himself a barrister. In the warped words of Meatloaf “I would do anything for Gove”.
- Rehman voted AGAINST the Grenfell enquiry recommendations, presumably following Boris Johnson’s “Burn Back Better” advice?
- Mr Chishti refuses to do anything about small businesses and those on low incomes in Medway.
- He can mainly be seen at photo opportunities with children, cutting ribbons at hospitals, playing tennis and hanging around the Gills football club.
- He was connected with receiving payments from Saudi Arabia over consultancy activities.
- Refuses to answer difficult questions from constituents.
- Went on an all expenses trip to Bahrain at Christmas 2020 whilst the country was in full lockdown and was caught without social distancing or masks.
Could we do better than this?
- Quite literally, a dead cat could have done better than Rehman Chishti. In the 2019 General Election, Stan the cat, leader of the UCAT party was judged to be the best candidate at the hustings by Mr Chishti’s own agent!
- Specifically a vote for any other candidate in local elections will help by:
- Putting the NHS centre stage in any decisions about funding and avoiding the gradual sale of our health service.
- Protecting green spaces in Medway and rogue housing development in the wake of the Grenfell enquiry.
- Protecting residents from a large Council tax hike to pay for Brexit and Corona.
- Providing a safety net for our most vulnerable residents in Medway: children, old age pensioners and people with disabilities.
- Putting town centres at the heart of our community in Gillingham and Rainham.